Rip Rap Installation
When slope grading and the use of native plants can’t prevent soil erosion another option available to home and business owners is the use of rip rap. Rip rap essentially involves the use of rocks, stones, or boulders and a heavy-duty underlayment to prevent soil erosion. Rip rap is typically used on shorelines, but it can be used anywhere water erosion is a problem.
Rip rap can be used to:
The benefits of using rip rap include:
- Prevent soil erosion on a steep hillside.
- Prevent soil erosion around discharge pipes.
- Replace a wooden or steel seawall with a natural material.
- Prevent shoreline soil erosion on the banks of rivers, creeks, lakes, or ponds.
- Rip rap creates and maintains wildlife habitat.
- Reduces sediment buildup in creeks and rivers.
- Blends naturally into the surrounding landscape.
- Rip rap can be used by native plants, insects, and mammals.
- Stops land and soil loss due to soil or shoreline erosion.
- Rip rap can be incorporated and obscured by new landscape plantings.
- A more aesthetic appeal versus wood, steel, or concrete seawalls.
- Rip rap does not obstruct the movement of people or animals into or out of the water.